NFU Fall Legislative Fly-In
September 14, 2020 - September 18, 2020
Farmers Union members from across the country will gather online in September for the 2020 Fall Legislative Fly-In!
Attendees will have the opportunity to hear from U.S. Department of Agriculture officials about current events, opportunities, and other work the department is doing on behalf of farmers. They will receive briefings from other administration officials and the leadership and staff of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives Committees on Agriculture.
The most important agenda items of the fly-in, however, are the meetings with legislators. A hallmark of the organization’s grassroots structure, teams of Farmers Union members will meet with hundreds of members of Congress by videoconference and by phone to highlight their priorities, the challenges they are facing, and goals for future legislation.
This year, participants will be speaking with legislators about:
- the next steps for economic recovery and stimulus legislation
- shaping agricultural policy to address the new realities in supply and demand as a result of the pandemic
- expanding and improving access to affordable, reliable broadband in rural America
- supporting biofuels production as an economic driver in our communities
- the damaging effects of anticompetitive practices by meatpackers and processors in the livestock sector
- ways to improve the rural health care system during the pandemic
- how family farmers and ranchers can play a role in addressing the changing climate
Keep up with all things Fly-In on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more information about future fly-in activities, please contact your state/regional Farmers Union office.